Jump to main content
jump main area
:::
Home > News > Cold weather is coming! Keep ventilated while using gas water heater and be careful with fire and electricity.

News

There were 38 carbon monoxide poisoning cases due to inappropriate use of gas water heaters in January 2021, leading to 5 killed and 97 injured. Cold weather is coming. Keep your place well ventilated while using a gas water heater in order to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Be careful with the use of fire and electricity while using electric appliances, such as electric heaters.

The statistics of National Fire Agency show that 87% of carbon monoxide poisoning cases due to gas water heater in January 2021 were caused by outdoor-type (RF-type) gas water heaters installed indoors or at an enclosed balcony or somewhere that is poorly ventilated, while the other 13% were due to not installing exhaust pipes required for gas water heaters (CF-type).

National Fire Agency suggests that you should find a qualified technician to install the gas water heater. An outdoor-type heater should be installed in an outdoor environment that is well ventilated. If installing a gas water heater at a poorly ventilated location is inevitable, the type of  forced exhaust system shall be selected to eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Always keep your place well ventilated while using a gas water heater. If you feel light-headed, vomiting and weak in limbs, be extra careful as these are the symptoms of carbon monoxide. In that case, stop using the water heater immediately and open the windows to the outside for ventilation. If you feel very sick, call 119 immediately for your personal safety.
Last Updated2021-02-03 HOME